Beds are the focal point for most bedrooms. Because of this, when you make the bed for home staging, your objective should be to create a space where buyers feel invited to relax. You want it to be a space where they would be comfortable sleeping. Think luxury hotel room!
To give your bed that layered, high-end hotel look…
- Remove bed linens that are dated, worn, too bright or too heavily patterned.
- Opt for neutral color bedding, preferably solids or with minimal patterns. My personal preference is white bedding, as it gives the room a more cohesive, high-end feel. In addition, white bedding tends to show up much more favorably in listing photos.
- Bed-in-a-bag options are an easy solution and available at most big box department stores. These sets typically include the duvet or comforter, a bed skirt, pillow shams, sheets, and accessory pillows. (If you’re looking for a simple, attractive set that won’t break the bank, we recommend this white, queen-sized bed-in-a-bag from Amazon. It’s also available in king and a variety of other sizes.)
Steps for Staging a Luxurious, Layered Bed
- Iron the bed skirt and place it on the bed. I prefer a simple, tailored bed skirt with clea lines. (A fluffy dust ruffle can look too feminine.) Try this one from Amazon I use for staging both queen and king beds.
- Apply the fitted sheet as usual.
- Apply the flat sheet next, making sure the “right side” of the flat sheet is down, facing the fitted sheet. Tuck in the sides, leaving a couple of feet untucked near the head of the bed (you’ll fold this back at the end to make the bed feel more inviting).
- Spread your bedspread, coverlet, or quilt across the bed, leaving the top edge about a foot away from the headboard. Next, fold your flat sheet back across the top of the spread.
- Finally, fold your comforter in thirds and spread across the bottom of the bed. Alternatively, you can place the duvet the same way you’d lay a bedspread/quilt in the previous step.
Now add finishing touches…
- Place your pillows in the proper order:
- 2 Euro pillows (3 for a king, 2 for a queen) in the back against the headboard. Because Euro pillows are rather large and square (26″ x 26″), they’ll really help give your bed a luxurious touch.
- 2 standard-size pillows next for a queen bed; 3 standard-size pillows (or 2 king-size pillows) for a king bed.
- 1 to 3 decorative throw pillows in the front layer
Foamily Premium Hypoallergenic European Sleep Pillow Insert Euro Sham Square Form Polyester, 26″ L X 26″ W, Standard/White
JOLLYVOGUE Bed Pillows for Sleeping 2 Pack, Hypoallergenic Pillows for Side and Back Sleeper, Down Alternative Hotel Quality Sleeping Pillows Soft Pillow-Standard Size
- Drape a blanket across the foot of the bed to add a little color or contrast. These are a few of our favorites, available in variety of colors. Hint: choose a color and texture that complements your space. Your accessories should simply enhance the room — not steal the show.
Bourina Beige Throw Blanket Textured Solid Soft Sofa Couch Cover Decorative Knitted Blanket, 50″ x 60″, Beige
Freshmint Throw Blanket 60 x 50 Inch Thanksgiving Luxury Fluffy Chenille Knitted Blankets with Decorative Fringe and Striped for Home Decor Couch Cover Sofa Bed Gift, Blue
These are guidelines — not hard and fast rules for every bed. So play around with your options and find the solution that works best for your room and bedding. Making a beautiful bed can be a bit of a pain while you’re trying to sell. However, it is a must for your listing photos and when showing the home. Show potential buyers just how luxurious and restful your bedroom(s) can be by making the bed look extra inviting!
Need Some Help?
Want more free home staging and design tips? Sign up for Three Bears Home Staging’s monthly newsletter here to get updates! Need a hand getting your home ready for a successful, profitable sale? Take a look below at how we can help!
Book an Online Consultation
We specialize in positive and empowering virtual consultations with practical advice to help homeowners sell more quickly and for more money.
Enroll in Our Online Courses
Our online courses are designed with you, the DIY homeowner, in mind. From home staging to paint color selection, we break down the process for you from start to finish!
Read Our Book
In this second edition of her popular book, Just Right! Easy DIY Home Staging, HSR-certified professional home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the step-by-step process of staging your home for a faster, more profitable sale. Available on Amazon in paperback and FREE for Kindle Unlimited customers!
The products on this blog have been independently selected because I like them. Some of the links on this blog are affiliate links, meaning, if you choose to click on a link and make a purchase, I earn a small commission. This commission comes at no additional cost to you and is paid 100% by the merchant, which helps me continue to create free content for my readers — so it’s a win-win! Thank you for supporting my blog and my business!