I hand-painted a gorgeous mural of a tree in my old house. It was fabulous. And when we decided to sell, I cried bitter tears as I painted over it with
a boring shade of khaki an inspiring neutral color. So why did I do it? Because I was not willing to bet thousands of dollars of home sale profit on the possibility that I might find a buyer who appreciated my tree mural. What I really wanted was a quick sale and a high profit. And I knew that when selling a home, the walls should act as a backdrop, not as the focal point.
This is what a neutral color palette does. It helps home buyers from all walks of life picture themselves living in the house. It helps them emotionally connect with it and see it as their potential HOME.
The tricky part is finding the right neutral paint colors. Not every neutral works for every house. So where do you start?
First, you need to understand how light will affect the feel of your space. A room with southern exposure receives different light than a room that faces north. Even the color of your light bulbs will affect the way your paint looks. *For specific, easy-to-follow guidance and tips on choosing the best type of light bulb to use for home staging, see our blog post.
Assess the Fixed Elements
Secondly, assess the fixed elements in the home, like cabinets, tile, flooring, counters, hardware. Is it a cooler palette (blacks, blues, grays, silvery metals, espresso-colored woods)? Or is it a warmer palette (browns, golds, natural wood tones)? The color you choose should accent these elements or you risk creating an off-balance feeling in the room.
Our Top Neutral Paint Colors to Sell or Stage Your Home
I’m a big fan of the Sherwin-Williams color palette and quality of paint. That said, here are a few of my top picks for neutral paint colors that home buyers love:
- SW 7037 Balanced Beige: This reliable, straight forward color is one of my top picks for home sellers. It’s best described as a taupe with an even mixture of both brown and gray, making it flexible enough to match almost any home. It also has a fairly neutral Light Reflective Value so it doesn’t look brighter or darker on the walls than it does in the paint can. It adds more interest and dimension than the standard “builder’s beige,” but it’s still neutral enough to be appealing to a wide variety of home buyers.
- SW 6120 Believable Buff and SW 6106 Kilim Beige: These colors work well in homes that have fixed elements with gold undertones. These colors are great choices if you’re trying to complement warm color tones, like golds, browns, and wood grains.
- SW 7015 Repose Gray and SW 7016 Mindful Gray: These are both extremely flexible that work well in homes with black-toned or espresso colored cabinetry and brushed nickel or stainless finishes, as well as in homes that have warmer finishes.
- 6148 Wool Skein and 7036 Accessible Beige: These near neutral colors work well with both warm and cool palettes. They also have a slightly higher than average Light Reflective Value, which means they do a great job of bringing light into dark spaces.
- 7029 Agreeable Gray and 7030 Anew Gray: These warm toned grays are exceptionally versatile and hugely popular with home buyers right now.
Do you have experience with any of these? What are your favorite neutral paint colors?
We Can Help!
If you need help choosing a paint color for your home, we can help! Three Bears Home Staging offers color consultations and home staging consultations, both online and in person! Get in touch with us to book your today!
One Room Paint Color Report | Virtual
Need help choosing the best paint colors for your room? Then this is the (virtual) service for you! Based on your questionnaire responses and uploaded photos, we’ll create a personalized digital Paint Color Report just for you. We’ll also send you paint swatches! Click below to learn how it works or to get started!
Exterior Paint Color Report | Virtual
Ready to give your home exterior a fresh new look, but feeling overwhelmed with the decision? Get a little virtual help from the color experts at Three Bears Home Staging! Based on your questionnaire responses and uploaded photos, we’ll create a personalized digital Paint Color Report just for your home’s exterior. We’ll also send you paint swatches! Read below to learn how it works…