Black may be the “new neutral,” but it’s always been a designer go-to for injecting energy and drama into a space. My stepmother, who has a great eye for design, has told me for at least 25 years to always have “a touch of black” in every room. If you’re looking for a simple way to add trendy black into your home, a black accent wall is one of the most versatile ways to do it. It’s a fun way to add a modern, edgy vibe to a space without committing to a specific color.
I Thought Accent Walls Were “Out”?
Truth be told, accent walls don’t work for every room. They can distort the visual balance of a space (making all the “drama” feel disproportionately one-sided).
And since this is a home staging blog, I should point out that, for the most part, accent walls are not a great idea for selling your home, either. This is because they are typically too taste-specific and lack the mass appeal needed to successfully entice the largest number of potential buyers possible. In other words, there’s a decent chance you could unnecessarily limit your buyer pool.
But if you’re not planning to sell your home and you’ve got just the right spot…go for it!
How to Make a Black Accent Wall Work
- Pick the right wall. In general, an accent wall works best to emphasize your room’s existing focal point. So, for example, the wall where your headboard goes in the bedroom or the fireplace wall in the living room are often logical choices for “accent” walls. Avoid adding accent paint to random unimportant architectural features.
- Choose a spot with ample light. Black paint naturally adds visual weight to the space around it, so balancing it out with plenty of light is a must. Ideally, choose a wall in an open area with natural light from a facing or adjacent window to keep the room from feeling too heavy.
- Balance a strong accent wall color, like black, with neutral colors on the other walls.
- Add decor. Your accent wall will be the focal point of the room so don’t leave it empty. Layer in mirrors, art, gorgeous lighting, and other furnishings to give the eye a resting place.
- Rich wood tones and warmer brass accents work well with black.
- Incorporate a little texture. Board and batten trim, shiplap, and even stencils can add a little interest.
Black Paint Colors We Like
Benjamin Moore’s Wrought Iron 2124-10 is a beautiful blend of black, dark gray, and blue with just a hint of a purple.
Iron Ore 7069 by Sherwin-Williams is a soft, deep black. Because it’s in the Green-Yellow hue family, it has a tiny hint of warmth that keeps it from feeling too stark.
Benjamin Moore’s Gray 2121-10 is a gorgeous soft charcoal. It’s a super subtle near-neutral color from the Purple-Blue hue family, which gives it a gentle feel while still adding a distinctive touch.
Not Quite Sure About Black?
There are plenty of other deep, rich colors that can add drama and dimension to your space. Navy blue, rich wine tones, dark teal, and eggplant are all fun options. If your home already has a black or gray palette, you might want to add a little balance by considering a warmer hue, like an earthy cognac or mustard.
If you’ve been looking for a way to add a little boldness and drama to your room, a black accent wall may be the way to go! Have you tried a black accent wall in your home? Share your experience with us below!
Need a Little Help?
If you need help choosing the right color, we can help! Take a look at our virtual color consultation packages below:
One Room Paint Color Report | Virtual
Need help choosing the best paint colors for your room? Then this is the (virtual) service for you! Based on your questionnaire responses and uploaded photos, we’ll create a personalized digital Paint Color Report just for you. We’ll also send you paint swatches! Click below to learn how it works or to get started!
Exterior Paint Color Report | Virtual
Ready to give your home exterior a fresh new look, but feeling overwhelmed with the decision? Get a little virtual help from the color experts at Three Bears Home Staging! Based on your questionnaire responses and uploaded photos, we’ll create a personalized digital Paint Color Report just for your home’s exterior. We’ll also send you paint swatches! Read below to learn how it works…