Many of us live our lives navigating a fast-paced world, balancing our time between being at the office, sitting in a carpool line, fighting with technology, or burning up the highway. Often the chaos and disorganization inside our homes is a quite natural result of all the frenetic energy we’re bombarded with on a daily basis.
But what if it didn’t feel that way? What if, when you stepped through your front door, you felt tranquility and peace? Our homes should feel like a relaxing oasis away from the chaos and frenzy of the outside world — a peaceful, harmonious place to return to at day’s end.
Our Tips for Creating a Home That Feels More Relaxing
- Pull up the shades and open the curtains. Lighting has a profound effect on our mood, particularly natural sunlight. Keep window coverings pulled back as much as possible during the day. Avoid placing furniture where it will block the windows.
- Paint your space. Like light, color is a powerful tool when it comes to adding energy or tranquility to a space. Natural colors, like grays or beiges or even soft blues and greens, create a move peaceful vibe. Bold, bright colors energize a space. Limit those to only small pops of color in rooms where you want to establish an overall calm feeling.
- Go green. Plants are natural air purifiers and can help remove toxins from the atmosphere. Even fresh-cut flowers offer a pleasing fragrance and a soothing presence.
- Reduce and simplify (a.k.a., declutter). This is one of the most straight-forward ways to create harmony and make your home feel more relaxing. If the task is too overwhelming, start with just one room (or even just one drawer). Remove items you no longer use or enjoy. For more detailed tips on how to do this, read our tips on decluttering. Big props to Marie Kondo for inspiring so many people with her book and Netflix special to finally do what home stagers have been recommending for years!
- Keep it comfy. Group furniture together in a cozy, friendly setting. Textures that are both soft and visually soothing, such as fur or chenille, also promote relaxation.
How have you created a relaxed, positive vibe in your home? Share it with us in the comments below!
How We Can Help Your Home Feel Relaxing
If you need a little help making your home feel “just right,” contact Three Bears Home Staging here. We are specialists at helping home sellers create a welcoming, harmonious atmosphere that appeals to potential buyers! Take a look below at some of the ways we’re helping home sellers across the country:
Online Home Staging Consultations
We specialize in positive, empowering one-on-one home staging consultations that help homeowners earn more money and a faster sale.
Online Staging Course for Home Sellers
Prefer to DIY? Enroll in our self-paced, online course Easy DIY Home Staging for Home Sellers™!
Read Our Book!
In her newest book, HSR certified home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the process of staging your own home. Available in paperback on Amazon and free on Kindle Unlimited.