If selling a home is on your to-do list, eliminating clutter may be one of the most important New Year’s resolutions you can make! Here are three of the worst clutter traps I typically see as a home stager, and some tips on how to avoid them.
Closets are a fantastic place to store all our extra stuff for day-to-day living, but clutter in the closet can hurt you when selling a home. Buyers touring your house will open closet doors, and 90% of them will not be able to envision spacious storage potential if your closets are crammed full of stuff.
- Go ahead and pack away seasonal clothing, organize hanging items by size or color, and get things off the floor. This is especially important in master bedroom closets.
- Take the time to go through your pantry as well, wiping down shelves, straightening labels and tossing out anything that won’t be used.
Tabletops and Counters
Tabletops and counters should not be completely stripped (you don’t want it to look too sterile), but keep decor strategic and minimal.
- Store all kitchen appliances under the cabinets (yes, even the coffee pot!).
- Dish soap and sponges should go in a plastic bin under the sink.
- Remove all personal hygiene products and appliances from bathroom counters.
- Add a simple potted plant and a few books to a nightstand, a bowl of lemons to the kitchen counter, or a dish of pretty soaps near the bath sink for a homey, but uncluttered feel.
Bookcases are notorious clutter traps when selling a home and can be especially tricky. When they’re overflowing or crammed too tightly (as many of them are), they give the impression that there’s a lack of space.
- Pack up most of your books, leaving some stacked vertically and some horizontally with space between groupings for a more pleasing visual effect. A few knick-knacks are okay, as well, but don’t put an entire collection of tchotchkes on display.
Start packing NOW, before you put your home on the market, and don’t spend money moving the items you can trash, donate, or sell! If you need help figuring out where to get started, we can help!
How We Can Help
Book an Online Consultation
We specialize in positive and empowering virtual consultations with practical advice to help homeowners sell more quickly and for more money.
Enroll in Our Online Courses
Our online courses are designed with you, the DIY homeowner, in mind. From home staging to paint color selection, we break down the process for you from start to finish!
Read Our Book
In this second edition of her popular book, Just Right! Easy DIY Home Staging: Second Edition, HSR certified professional home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the step-by-step process of staging your home for a faster, more profitable sale. Available on Amazon in paperback and FREE for Kindle Unlimited customers!