Organizing your home for back-to-school activities can save your family a lot of aggravation when everyone is trying to rush out the door to school, work, and extra-curricular activities. Use these tips to get supplies, get prepared, and get organized for the busy school year ahead!
- Inventory the wardrobes. Make the effort to pull out the stuff that is worn out, doesn’t fit, isn’t in style, or won’t be worn for some other reason. Donate to younger siblings, neighbors, friends, or Goodwill. Eliminating the clutter will make figuring out what to wear in the morning a whole lot easier.
- Streamline the entryway. We all need a place to dump everything when we first walk in. Install heavy-duty coat hooks to hang jackets, backpacks, and purses. Use baskets for smaller items, like keys and wallets. Do kids have after-school activities? Keep uniforms and equipment in a separate “activity bag” so they can grab their stuff on the go.
- Create a dedicated area for homework. Whether it’s a desk in their bedroom, a home office, or a desk in the game room, make it age-appropriate and keep necessary supplies nearby. Even if their homework space is simply the kitchen table, put together a basket within easy reach filled with pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, a calculator, or any other supplies that will keep them seated and focused on finishing their work.
- Organize your pantry. Keep after-school snacks in a designated spot and at eye level so kids don’t tear apart the cabinets trying to find food. Use clear baskets or stacking bins to make pre-packaged snacks easy to see and reach. Keep plastic cups in lower cabinets for younger kids.
- Display children’s artwork in its own space. Personally, I’m not a fan of magnets on the kitchen refrigerator — to me, they make an already busy space feel even more cluttered. But I do enjoy the proud looks on my kids’ faces when I “ooh” and “aah” over their artistic creations. With some picture hanging wire and clothespins, I created a very simple, very inexpensive art gallery in our playroom to proudly and beautifully display their creative work!
Do you need help figuring out how to deal with back-to-school madness while your home is on the market? Three Bears Home Staging can help! We specialize in teaching homeowners how to prepare their homes for a faster, more profitable sale. Take a look below:
Book an Online Consultation
We specialize in positive and empowering virtual consultations with practical advice to help homeowners sell more quickly and for more money.
Enroll in Our Online Courses
Our online courses are designed with you, the DIY homeowner, in mind. From home staging to paint color selection, we break down the process for you from start to finish!
Read Our Book
In this second edition of her popular book, Just Right! Easy DIY Home Staging: Second Edition, HSR certified professional home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the step-by-step process of staging your home for a faster, more profitable sale. Available on Amazon in paperback and FREE for Kindle Unlimited customers!