Organizing your home for back-to-school activities can save your family a lot of aggravation when everyone is trying to rush out the door school, work, and extra-curricular activities. Use these tips to get supplies, get prepared and get organized for the busy school year ahead!
- Inventory the wardrobes. Make the effort to pull out the stuff that is worn out, doesn’t fit, isn’t in style or won’t be worn for some other reason. Donate to younger siblings, neighbors, friends or Goodwill. Eliminating the clutter will make figuring out what to wear in the morning a whole lot easier.
- Streamline the entryway. We all need a place to dump everything when we first walk in. Install heavy duty coat hooks to hang jackets, backpacks and purses. Use baskets for smaller items, like keys and wallets. Kids have after school activities? Keep uniforms and equipment in a separate “activity bag” so they can grab their stuff on the go.
- Create a dedicated area for homework. Whether it’s a desk in their bedroom, a home office or a desk in the game room, make it age appropriate and keep necessary supplies nearby. Even if their homework space is simply the kitchen table, put together a basket within easy reach filled with pencils, crayons, scissors, glue, a calculator or any other supplies that will keep them seated and focused on finishing their work.
- Organize your pantry. Keep after school snacks in a designated spot and at eye level so kids don’t tear apart the cabinets trying to find food. Use clear baskets or stacking bins to make pre-packaged snacks easy to see and reach. Keep plastic cups in lower cabinets for younger kids.
- Display children’s art work in its own space. Personally, I’m not a fan of magnets on the kitchen refrigerator — to me, they make an already busy space feel even more cluttered. But I do enjoy the proud looks on my kids’ faces when I “ooh” and “aah” over their artistic creations. With some picture hanging wire and clothespins, I created a very simple, very inexpensive art gallery in our play room to proudly and beautifully display their creative work!
Do you need help organizing your home for back-to-school madness? Whether you live in the Katy ISD or greater Houston area, Three Bears Home Staging can help! Contact us today to find out how!