Last year’s “Resolve to Sell” post was hands down our most popular blog post on Pinterest, so with that in mind, we thought we’d follow up with some more helpful tips about how to start getting your house ready to go on the market this year!
- Declutter. As a home stager, I can say this is without question the number one issue most home sellers face when preparing to sell their homes. Buyers need to focus on the great light, awesome space and beautiful architectural features of your home–not be distracted by your curios and collections! Packing starts BEFORE you list your home. Put away a good percentage of everything in the room in order to create a more clean, open and spacious feel.
- Make repairs. Buyers will almost always over-estimate the cost of repairs and may use that to low-ball an offer on your home. Get rid of the buyer’s mental repair list by fixing it yourself! Touch up paint, fix nail pops or tape-and-float cracks, and make sure appliances work properly.
- Modernize. Make sure your home reflects trends that are timeless, not fads that are tiresome. Do you have lots of brass hardware that needs to be painted or replaced? Could those wallpapered walls use a facelift? Flip through home decor magazines and see how your home compares.
- Clean, clean, clean! The dirty work speaks for itself but is often overlooked because you’ve lived there for so long. Are there cobwebs around the front entryway? Do the windows need to be wiped down? Is there mildew in the bathroom? Are there any cooking or pet smells? Ask your realtor or stager to be brutally honest and listen to their advice–buyers WILL notice!
- Improve curb appeal. Curb appeal is literally the first impression and sets the tone for the way the buyer will view the rest of the house. Remember the goal for the exterior of the home is the same as the interior: a clean, open, sunny and well-manicured look. Read our blog post on how to maximize curb appeal.
If you need help getting started or knowing what to tackle first, contact us at (832) 377-0785 for a consultation! We are looking forward to an exciting year ahead as our blog continues to grow, thanks to readers like you. We hope you’ll continue following our home staging adventures in the coming months!