When preparing your home to sell, it’s easy to overlook the potential additional living space you can create right in your backyard! Creating a welcoming outdoor patio or deck area is a great way to add “visual” square footage in a buyer’s mind. In fact, according to the National Association of Realtors’ 2017 Profile of Home Staging report, 63% of buyers ranked staging outdoor spaces as “important” or “very important.” Lack of entertainment space often prevents people from fully enjoying their backyard. A few outdoor staging ideas will easily transform your patio into an appealing, relaxing space for yourself or potential buyers.
- Clean up. It’s hard to imagine oneself entertaining or relaxing in a grimy, dirty space. Start fresh and get rid of all the pollen, cobwebs, and insect nests that have accumulated. Break out the power-washer, if necessary, or just hose everything down. Wipe down existing furniture, light fixtures, and fan blades. Toss out moldy, mildewy cushions.
- Create seating. If you’re limited on space this, may be a challenge. Try a bench or a couple of comfy chairs to help communicate relaxation to guests or potential buyers.
- Add pillows. This will instantly make your porch more fun and cozy. I highly recommend using longer-wearing “weatherproof” fabrics (I have cushions covered with Sunbrella fabric, and I love them. They’re out all the time and never get gross.).
- Plant. You can’t overdo it when it comes to flowers. Whether they’re hanging in baskets, blooming on bushes, or sprouting in pots, flowers add a feeling of luxury and have a strong draw on potential buyers.
- Consider a rug. Not all spaces can accommodate one, but a fresh, clean rug can definitely pull a seating area together and create a cozier vibe. Choose a rug that’s specifically labeled for outdoor use.
- Eat! Love of good food can always bring people together! If you have the space, add a dining area as well! For small areas, a bistro table with a couple of chairs and a nice pot of flowers work well. If you’ve got an uncovered patio area, use a table with a large umbrella to provide plenty of shade. Show potential buyers that outdoor dining is no problem!
Need some inspiration and ideas?
No problem! Take a look at this post for some inspiration. It also has clickable shopping links to some of our favorite neutral outdoor staging decor available on Amazon:
With the right touches, these outdoor staging ideas can transform even a tiny patio into a little oasis of nature. If you’re selling your home, the HSR certified professionals at Three Bears Home Staging can help you get started! Take a look below at how we’re helping home sellers across the country:
Online Home Staging Consultations
We specialize in positive, empowering one-on-one home staging consultations that help homeowners earn more money and a faster sale.
Online Staging Course for Home Sellers
Prefer to DIY? Enroll in our self-paced, online course Easy DIY Home Staging for Home Sellers™!
Read Our Book!
In her newest book, HSR certified home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the process of staging your own home. Available in paperback on Amazon and free on Kindle Unlimited.