Home buyers are usually fairly predictable when it comes to what they want in a home: a clean, well-maintained space, lots of storage, rooms that are light and bright, and updated features. While much of home staging revolves around neutralizing strong design choices, it’s also important to give a nod toward current trends when possible and remove items that may feel dated.
With that said, here are a few up-and-coming home design trends on the horizon for 2019 (that actually work for home staging, too!).
- White walls and warmer neutrals. White is definitely the new “in” wall color, but a word of warning — it does NOT work in all rooms or houses. White walls work best in rooms that have TONS of natural light and have lots of neutral layers and texture. In most cases, white walls photograph a lot better than they look in person. If your home isn’t meant for white paint (and not many truly are), opt for a warm neutral. For specific color suggestions, read our blog post here. Design trends are moving away from cooler grays.
- Mixed metal accents. Used in moderation (no more than 2 or 3 different metals), a variety of metal accents can make a room feel balanced and timeless. Rose gold accents have peaked, though, so start phasing those out.
- Light-colored wood floors. Light oak and birch are coming back in style. Home buyers gravitate toward an open, airy feel, and these more light-reflective floors feel comfy and lush.
- Quartz countertops. Solid surface counters are always a classic, popular choice with home buyers, but quartz has been edging out granite for the last few years in popularity. Quartz’s mix of stone and resin makes it super durable, yet visually similar to higher-maintenance marble or slate.
- Black and jewel-tones. This is probably a nice counter-balance to all the white walled decor that’s popping up. Doses of black (especially in kitchens and bathroom) add a great contrast and sense of sophistication to a room. Pops of teal, navy, and forest green in fabrics and decor also stand out beautifully against light, neutral walls.
- Smart home appliances. The robots are taking over in 2019! Buyers are definitely interested in smart home appliances that integrate with the IOT and voice assistants, like Alexa and Google Home.
What design trends have you noticed gaining traction in 2019 for your area? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re thinking of selling your home this year and need a little help, look at what Three Bears Home Staging has to offer!
Online & In-Person Staging Consultations
We specialize in positive, empowering one-on-one home staging consultations that help homeowners earn more money and a faster sale.
Online Staging Course for Home Sellers
Prefer to DIY? Enroll in our self-paced, online course Easy DIY Home Staging for Home Sellers™!
Read Our Book!
In her newest book, HSR certified home stager Vannessa Rhoades walks you through the process of staging your own home. Available in paperback on Amazon and free on Kindle Unlimited.