Paint color sets the tone for your home. The right color brings everything together in harmony. The wrong color can feel overwhelming and chaotic. You can avoid an expensive decorating mistake by using these tricks of the trade to pick the paint color that’s right for you.
- Compare your choice with the bottom of the strip. The true color is at the base. This color is the most saturated and allows you to see the true undertone much more easily (e.g., “Oh wow, the bottom color is surprisingly reddish…so that beige I liked at the top of the strip might look kind of pink on the wall!”)
- Know how light will affect the feel of the space. Evaluate how the light in YOUR space will affect the color. In other words, do NOT choose paint based solely on a color you selected at the paint store/online or because it worked in another house or even in another room!
- Natural daylight will reflect the truest hues. Southern light is warmer and brighter, while Northern light is cooler and dimmer.
- Incandescent lighting will bring out the warmer, yellower tones in color.
- Fluorescent bulbs, though energy-efficient, cast a diffuse, shadowless light that gives a blue tinge to the colors in the room. Warm wall colors (yellow, gold, orange, wheat tones) lose their warmth in older-style fluorescent light. Newer fluorescent bulbs, called triphosphor fluorescent lamps, are warmer and render color that more closely resembles sunlight.
- Consider the flow between other rooms. Color should bring the space together with a natural flow. This is especially true in open floor plans, which are typically better suited to one main color throughout the home with some well-placed accent colors in a few places.
Hint: One safe and effective way to add some dimension is to select tints or shades from the same color strip.
- Try a sample. Once you’ve narrowed it down, purchase a sample from your favorite paint store and paint a few large pieces of poster board. Hang your paint samples on different walls for a few days and note how the light changes and how it plays with your other accessories. *I provide free 8″ x 10″ color samples to my color consultation clients.
Still need a little help? Three Bears Home Staging and Redesign offers affordable color consultations that can help you choose the paint that’s right for you! We also have great color palettes that work for home staging! Call us at (832) 377-0785 to transform your home into a color palette you love!